So I did my ‘Marshmallow’ talk and it went well. I had a bit of a “crise” (as they say in Paris), on the day before because I realised I was being far too formulaic in my approach. I was in danger of sounding very stiff and un-me. So I threw it all out and decided to ‘lean back into the arms of my angels’ and trust that I knew it enough to just go in there with 5 basic headings. It worked! It flowed, there was great audience participation and I felt natural and totally taken care of by the Universe. Thanks angels!
Phew, what a week this has been! I feel like I’ve been through the wringer – all the confusion around my prep and then dealing with a few past demons. It’s totally worth it though for all the learning I’ve had.
If you don’t mind indulging me I think I’ll write out those learnings here. So:
- If demons or past hurts show their faces – it’s time to deal with them
- Being ‘me’ is best. Content must never rule over authentic expression
- Learn the content then chuck it out and just have loving communication with your audience
- It’s not about me – it’s about being a channel for whatever wants to be said and whatever wants to be heard
- I must always remember to get out of my own way!
- Be really clear about the objective of the talk. Is it just a short piece of entertainment? Is it like a mini seminar? Or is it mainly for promotion of an event or product? Each one demands a different style
- Those remote clicky things that help you move your slideshow along are *awesome”!
The biggest round of applause I got last night was from this video I used to demonstrate the power of community. They just loved it. Enjoy!